Presented 29th September 1876
Cover of the Ramsay Diploma
The Ramsay Diploma
John William Ramsay - afterwards 13th Earl of Dalhousie
John William Ramsay, who, at the time of his appointment as Provincial Grand Master was titled Lord Ramsay.
He inherited the title of 13th Earl of Dalhousie on the death of his father, Admiral George Ramsay, the 12th Earl who died in 1880.
John William Ramsay was also a second cousin to Fox-Maule Ramsay, the 11th Earl of Dalhousie who was Provincial Grand Master from 1852 – 1872.
As yet, there is no information regarding Lord Ramsay’s Masonic background, or where he joined Freemasonry.
Lord Ramsay was installed as Provincial Grand Master of Forfarshire in the County Buildings Forfar on 26th March 1876. This ceremony was performed by the acting Grand Master, Major Hamilton Ramsay of Garion, who at that time was Senior Grand Warden.
The only notable event that he undertook during his term as P. G. Master was the laying of the foundation stone of the new Dundee Asylum at Liff on the 17th Sept 1879.
Also during his term the Lodges of Laurencekirk, Inverbervie & Johnshaven moved out of the jurisdiction of the Province of Forfarshire into the newly created Province of Kincardineshire.
Another notable local event during these years was on the 28th December 1879, when during a violent storm, the first Tay Rail Bridge, along with a train carrying 59 passengers on board plunged into the river.
Lord Ramsay was also in the Royal Navy and served as a Commander on board the SL ‘Britannia’ and was afterwards elected M.P. for Liverpool, at that time the largest constituency in Britain. He resigned as P.G. Master in April 1880 because of his political commitments, he was soon elevated to the house of Lords, as 13th Earl on the death of his father, also in 1880
Both Lord and Lady Dalhousie died in December 1887, within 24 hours of each other. The Archway into the town of Edzell commemorates these two people.
The Provincial Grand Lodge held a very large Funeral Lodge in the Thistle Halls on the 22nd December 1887 at which over 250 Brethren attended.